Wednesday, 1 February 2012

IPCop with Cop+ Addon - Cloned Virtual Machine Fail

If like me you may have to setup multiple IPCops for different content filtering (especially in a School environment). If you do, don't make the same mistake as me when cloning a Virtual Machine using VMware and forget to update the following...

#nano /etc/dansguardian/dansguardian.conf
find the following line
proxyip = <insert your green interface ip here>

In forgetting to update this line after cloning the VM, the firewall was actually forwarding on requests to the original firewall. This was despite me updating the green and red ips and updating all instances of the IP change in the web-gui. 

I only noticed this problem after trying to configure OpenDNS to provide an additional layer of filtering on the cloned Firewall. Upon trying to verify the IP, OpenDNS was reporting the wrong external IP...doh!

For my setup I was using IPCop 1.4.21 and Cop+ 3.0.2

No comments:

Post a Comment